Last year our WARGAMING ROOM editor, Ken Gilliam, sat down with a soon-to-graduate War College student to get her impression of the use of wargames in the classroom. A BETTER PEACE welcomes War College graduate Tina Cancel to the studio to share her thoughts and experiences with LEGO® Serious Play® and the War College created game, Joint Overmatch. Ken has recently retired and moved on to a new career and this was fitting as his final episode because Tina confirms the benefits of all of his hard work during his time as the Director of Strategic Wargaming at the Center for Strategic Leadership and gives him some great feedback to pass on to his successor.
It ties in all of the components of what we are set to learn at the War College and so having that maybe more upfront and playing it kind of off and on throughout the year or mixing up the teams would be beneficial…
Tina Cancel is a U.S. Navy Civilian and Comptroller for the Naval Supply System’s Command Business Systems Center. She is a graduate of the AY20 Resident Class at the U.S. Army War College.
Ken Gilliam is a retired U.S. Army Colonel and the former Director of Strategic Wargaming at the Center for Strategic Leadership, U.S. Army War College.
The views expressed in this presentation are those of the speakers and do not necessarily reflect those of the U.S. Army War College, U.S. Army, U.S. Navy or Department of Defense. LEGO® is a trademark of the LEGO Group of companies which does not sponsor, authorize or endorse this site
Photo Description: AY20 students collaborate during a LEGO® Serious Play® session and a round of Joint Overmatch
Photo Credit: Photos courtesy of Ken Gilliam
Other releases in the “Wargaming Room” series:
- NOT JUST WAR GAMES: SIMULATING CRISIS NEGOTIATIONS
- USE WARGAMING TO SHARPEN THE TACTICAL EDGE
- LIKE YOUR BRAIN HAS JUST GONE TO THE GYM (WARGAMING ROOM)
- A LABORATORY FOR MILITARY PROFESSIONALS (WARGAMING ROOM)
- GAMES, PLAY, AND THE AFFECTIVE DOMAIN (WARGAMING ROOM)
- SWARM GAMING: REGAINING THE STRATEGIC INNOVATION INITIATIVE (WARGAMING ROOM)
- GETTING WAR (GAMING) BACK INTO THE WAR COLLEGE (WARGAMING ROOM)
- SHALL WE PLAY A GAME? (WARGAMING ROOM)
- READINESS IS PRIORITY #1, BUT READY FOR WHAT? (WARGAMING ROOM)
- WAR(GAMING) WHAT IS IT GOOD FOR? (A WHITEBOARD)