You talk about the capabilities of the War College graduates and the ability as a colonel to transfer from being concerned about [one’s unit] into understanding the desires of the entire enterprise
WAR ROOM welcomes retired U.S. Army Lieutenant General Mark Hertling to discuss his perspectives on strategic leadership and the solving of difficult strategic problems where the ways and means are not aligned with the ends. LTG Hertling recounts experiences and lessons learned about the transformation of the U.S. Army in Europe from service as a staff director in the early 2000s to restationing the Headquarters from Heidelberg to Wiesbaden years later, and as Division Commander, 1st Armored Division cobbling together a team of disparate units as part of the surge in Iraq. WAR ROOM podcast editor Jacqueline E. Whitt moderates.
Mark Hertling is a retired U.S. Army lieutenant general with 37 years of active service. His last assignment was Commander, U.S. Army Europe and Seventh Army in Wiesbaden, Germany. Jacqueline E. Whitt is Professor of Strategy at the U.S. Army War College and the WAR ROOM podcast editor. The views expressed in this presentation are those of the speakers and do not necessarily reflect those of the U.S. Army War College, U.S. Army, or Department of Defense.
Image: Scene from a ceremonial “Grand Tattoo” held at Schloss Biebrich in Wiesbaden, Germany” to farewell LTG Ben Hodges as the outgoing U.S. Army Europe commander in August 2017.
Image Credit: U.S. Army homepage
Releases from the Leader Perspectives series:
- LEADING AND WINNING IN GREAT POWER COMPETITION (LEADER PERSPECTIVES)
- LEARNING ABOUT LEADERSHIP THROUGH THE CLASSICS (LEADER PERSPECTIVES)
- WHAT IT TAKES FOR COLONELS TO BE SUCCESSFUL (LEADER PERSPECTIVES)
- BALANCING BETWEEN CIVILIAN LIFE AND SERVICE IN THE NATIONAL GUARD
- “WHAT GOT YOU HERE WON’T GET YOU THERE” — AND OTHER CAUTIONARY TALES FOR LEADERS
- WHEN THE MILITARY IS NOT IN CHARGE: DEFENSE SUPPORT TO CIVIL AUTHORITIES
- WHAT DOES ‘SUCCESS’ MEAN AS A STRATEGIC LEADER?
- STRATEGIC LEADERSHIP AND CHANGING THE US ARMY IN EUROPE
- THE CHALLENGES OF SENIOR LEADER COMMUNICATION
- THE SENIOR NCO AS A STRATEGIC LEADER — A PODCAST