Napoleon stands out in history for being an individual who understood the interplay between war and politics
WAR ROOM welcomes Lieutenant General Christopher Cavoli, Commander of U.S. Army Europe and Seventh Army, to discuss his perspectives on strategic leadership. In this interview, he uses the examples of prominent historical figures to describe the qualities of strong strategic leaders, and the importance of reading classic texts as a way of better understanding today’s national security issues. He shows the importance of taking the time to read and reflect, and not give military history a rushed, cursory look. WAR ROOM Podcast Editor Jacqueline E. Whitt moderates.
Christopher Cavoli is a lieutenant general in the U.S. Army and Commander, U.S. Army Europe and Seventh Army. Jacqueline E. Whitt is the WAR ROOM Podcast Editor. The views expressed in this presentation are those of the speakers and do not necessarily reflect those of the U.S. Army War College, U.S. Army, or Department of Defense.
Photo: U.S. Soldiers of 2nd Battalion, 5th Cavalry Regiment, 1st Armored Brigade Combat Team, 1st Cavalry Division and Polish soldiers pose for a photo at the Mihail Kogalniceanu Air Base in Romania, Sept. 3, 2018. U.S. Army leaders of 2-5 Cav, 1st ABCT, 1st CD met with Polish soldiers to discuss future joint training opportunities in support of Atlantic Resolve, an enduring training exercise between NATO and U.S. forces
Photo Credit: U.S. Army National Guard photo by SPC Hannah Tarkelly, 382nd Public Affairs Detachment, 1st ABCT, 1st Cavalry Division
Other Releases in the Leader Perspectives series:
- TENSIONS AND PARADOXES FACING SENIOR LEADERS (LEADER PERSPECTIVES)
- LEADING AND WINNING IN GREAT POWER COMPETITION (LEADER PERSPECTIVES)
- LEARNING ABOUT LEADERSHIP THROUGH THE CLASSICS (LEADER PERSPECTIVES)
- WHAT IT TAKES FOR COLONELS TO BE SUCCESSFUL (LEADER PERSPECTIVES)
- BALANCING BETWEEN CIVILIAN LIFE AND SERVICE IN THE NATIONAL GUARD
- “WHAT GOT YOU HERE WON’T GET YOU THERE” — AND OTHER CAUTIONARY TALES FOR LEADERS
- WHEN THE MILITARY IS NOT IN CHARGE: DEFENSE SUPPORT TO CIVIL AUTHORITIES
- WHAT DOES ‘SUCCESS’ MEAN AS A STRATEGIC LEADER?
- STRATEGIC LEADERSHIP AND CHANGING THE US ARMY IN EUROPE
- THE CHALLENGES OF SENIOR LEADER COMMUNICATION