Stumbling block number one: You start to believe the hype. … Two: You somehow start to think you deserve it, as opposed to think that you’ve still got to hustle.
WAR ROOM welcomes Dr. Rebecca Johnson to discuss her perspectives on strategic leadership as Dean of Academics at the Marine Corps University. Having witnessed many officers and civilians graduate from senior service college, Dr. Johnson reflects on the challenges of transitioning to senior leadership in the military. Her discussion includes some pitfalls and common traps, avoiding them, and staying focused on improving their organizations and the people within them. WAR ROOM Social Media Editor Buck Haberichter moderates.
Rebecca Johnson is the Dean of Academics at the Marine Corps University. Buck Haberichter is the WAR ROOM Social Media Editor. The views expressed in this presentation are those of the speakers and do not necessarily reflect those of the U.S. Army War College, U.S. Army, or Department of Defense.
Photo Credit: REUTERS/Kevin Lamarque
Other Releases in the “Leader Perspectives” series:
- LEADING AND WINNING IN GREAT POWER COMPETITION (LEADER PERSPECTIVES)
- LEARNING ABOUT LEADERSHIP THROUGH THE CLASSICS (LEADER PERSPECTIVES)
- WHAT IT TAKES FOR COLONELS TO BE SUCCESSFUL (LEADER PERSPECTIVES)
- BALANCING BETWEEN CIVILIAN LIFE AND SERVICE IN THE NATIONAL GUARD
- “WHAT GOT YOU HERE WON’T GET YOU THERE” — AND OTHER CAUTIONARY TALES FOR LEADERS
- WHEN THE MILITARY IS NOT IN CHARGE: DEFENSE SUPPORT TO CIVIL AUTHORITIES
- WHAT DOES ‘SUCCESS’ MEAN AS A STRATEGIC LEADER?
- STRATEGIC LEADERSHIP AND CHANGING THE US ARMY IN EUROPE
- THE CHALLENGES OF SENIOR LEADER COMMUNICATION
- THE SENIOR NCO AS A STRATEGIC LEADER — A PODCAST