One of the things that will occur as you [move up the ranks] is you’re going to have a more diverse workforce
A BETTER PEACE welcomes to the studio U.S. Army Reserve Major General Tammy Smith to discuss her perspectives on strategic leadership, especially her current role in the Office of the Assistant Secretary of the Army for Manpower and Reserve Affairs. With WAR ROOM Editor-in-Chief Jacqueline E. Whitt, MG Smith tells how her career followed many different directions over time. Through self-awareness and purposeful self-development activities, she adapted and overcame at each step, especially when she did not have the technical expertise of those around her. This was true even in her current position, where she takes on the quality of life portfolio, something she had limited knowledge about previously, but is enjoying and adding value to it every way she can!
Tammy Smith is is a major general in the U.S. Army Reserve and Military Assistant to the Assistant Secretary of the Army for Manpower and Reserve Affairs. Jacqueline E. Whitt is the Editor-in-Chief of WAR ROOM. The views expressed in this presentation are those of the speakers and do not necessarily reflect those of the U.S. Army War College, U.S. Army, or Department of Defense.
Photo: Fort Drum community members welcomed Maj. Gen. Tammy Smith, then-Army Deputy G-1, as guest speaker for their annual LGBT (Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender) Pride Month observance.
Photo Credit: Mike Strasser, Fort Drum Garrison Public Affairs, public domain
Other releases in the Senior Leader Perspectives series:
- THE CHALLENGES OF KEEPING SPACE SECURE (LEADER PERSPECTIVES)
- TENSIONS AND PARADOXES FACING SENIOR LEADERS (LEADER PERSPECTIVES)
- LEADING AND WINNING IN GREAT POWER COMPETITION (LEADER PERSPECTIVES)
- LEARNING ABOUT LEADERSHIP THROUGH THE CLASSICS (LEADER PERSPECTIVES)
- WHAT IT TAKES FOR COLONELS TO BE SUCCESSFUL (LEADER PERSPECTIVES)
- BALANCING BETWEEN CIVILIAN LIFE AND SERVICE IN THE NATIONAL GUARD
- “WHAT GOT YOU HERE WON’T GET YOU THERE” — AND OTHER CAUTIONARY TALES FOR LEADERS
- WHEN THE MILITARY IS NOT IN CHARGE: DEFENSE SUPPORT TO CIVIL AUTHORITIES
- WHAT DOES ‘SUCCESS’ MEAN AS A STRATEGIC LEADER?
- STRATEGIC LEADERSHIP AND CHANGING THE US ARMY IN EUROPE