We tend to think about ‘strategic leaders’ as people who were successful…. But to me, it is the content of their goals that matter.
WAR ROOM welcomes Dr. Sarah Sewall, former Undersecretary of State for Civilian Security, Democracy and Human Rights under the Obama administration and the inaugural Deputy Assistance Secretary of Defense for Peacekeeping and Peace Enforcement Policy. Dr. Sewell was a guest speaker at the U.S. Army War College’s annual Strategy Conference, which explored Strategic Leadership in 2030. In this interview with WAR ROOM Social Media Editor Buck Haberichter, Dr. Sewell provides her perspectives on those traits that separate the great strategic leaders from others, and in the process dispels some popular misconceptions about what it means to be a great strategic leader.
Dr. Sarah Sewall is the Speyer Family Foundation Distinguished Scholar | Henry A. Kissinger Center for Global Affairs. Buck Haberichter is the Social Media Editor for WAR ROOM. The views expressed in this presentation are those of the speakers and do not necessarily reflect those of the U.S. Army War College, U.S. Army, or Department of Defense.
Image: Print showing Abraham Lincoln, standing on stage before a ground of people, delivering his address at the dedication of the Gettysburg National Cemetery, November 19, 1863.
Image Credit: Library of Congress via Wikimedia Commons (public domain)
Other Releases in the ‘Leader Perspectives’ series:
- LEADING AND WINNING IN GREAT POWER COMPETITION (LEADER PERSPECTIVES)
- LEARNING ABOUT LEADERSHIP THROUGH THE CLASSICS (LEADER PERSPECTIVES)
- WHAT IT TAKES FOR COLONELS TO BE SUCCESSFUL (LEADER PERSPECTIVES)
- BALANCING BETWEEN CIVILIAN LIFE AND SERVICE IN THE NATIONAL GUARD
- “WHAT GOT YOU HERE WON’T GET YOU THERE” — AND OTHER CAUTIONARY TALES FOR LEADERS
- WHEN THE MILITARY IS NOT IN CHARGE: DEFENSE SUPPORT TO CIVIL AUTHORITIES
- WHAT DOES ‘SUCCESS’ MEAN AS A STRATEGIC LEADER?
- STRATEGIC LEADERSHIP AND CHANGING THE US ARMY IN EUROPE
- THE CHALLENGES OF SENIOR LEADER COMMUNICATION
- THE SENIOR NCO AS A STRATEGIC LEADER — A PODCAST