You assume professional competence at [the strategic] level, … but the more senior you get in the armed forces or defense, the more you are looking for issues of character.
WAR ROOM welcomes special guest Lieutenant-General Patrick Sanders CBE, DSO of the British Army, who addressed the 2018 resident class of the U.S. Army War College as part of the annual Kermit Roosevelt Exchange Lecture series. In this discussion, Lieutenant-General Sanders presents a British perspective on senior military leadership and success at the national strategic level. A fascinating discussion loaded with British history and perspectives on qualities of successful American officers. WAR ROOM Podcast Editor Jacqueline E. Whitt moderates.
You can also download a copy of the podcast here.
Lieutenant-General Patrick Sanders CBE, DSO serves as the Commander Field Army in the British Army and was the United Kingdom’s lecturer for the 2018 edition of the Kermit Roosevelt Exchange program. Jacqueline E. Whitt is WAR ROOM’s Podcast Editor. The views expressed in this presentation are those of the speakers and do not necessarily reflect those of the U.S. Army War College, U.S. Army, or Department of Defense.
Photo: Portrait of Kermit Roosevelt from the Library of Congress. Public domain.
Image Credit: Tom Galvin
Releases from the Leader Perspectives series:
- A TRANSATLANTIC PERSPECTIVE ON NATO (LEADER PERSPECTIVES)
- OBSERVATIONS FROM NATO’S NORTHERN FRONT (LEADER PERSPECTIVES)
- ALLIES ARE MORE THAN FRIENDS (LEADER PERSPECTIVES)
- THE CHALLENGES OF KEEPING SPACE SECURE (LEADER PERSPECTIVES)
- TENSIONS AND PARADOXES FACING SENIOR LEADERS (LEADER PERSPECTIVES)
- LEADING AND WINNING IN GREAT POWER COMPETITION (LEADER PERSPECTIVES)
- LEARNING ABOUT LEADERSHIP THROUGH THE CLASSICS (LEADER PERSPECTIVES)
- WHAT IT TAKES FOR COLONELS TO BE SUCCESSFUL (LEADER PERSPECTIVES)
- BALANCING BETWEEN CIVILIAN LIFE AND SERVICE IN THE NATIONAL GUARD
- “WHAT GOT YOU HERE WON’T GET YOU THERE” — AND OTHER CAUTIONARY TALES FOR LEADERS